Thursday, May 6, 2010

{alltv} 'Idol' castoff Aaron Kelly: 'These are all talented people'

MR.BEER® Home Brewing Kits. American's #1 Home Brewing System. Makes a great gift!

Likable Aaron Kelly, American Idol's youngest finalist of Season 9, found a voice amid his adult competitors. But his performance Tuesday night of Frank Sinatra's Fly Me to the Moon got mixed reviews, with judge Ellen DeGeneres praising him for branching out from his country roots and Simon Cowell telling him he was more "mouse" than "lion." USA TODAY caught up with him Thursday in a post-elimination conference call.

Q: Last night, when Ryan (Seacrest) asked you how old you felt, you said you still felt 17. Was it important to you to not grow up too fast in this competition?

A: Absolutely. You don't want to change who you are, because they send you through based on who you were in the beginning. If you change who you are, you're changing the person America fell in love with.

Q: Have you ever been to (an Idols Live) concert?

A: I've never been, but I'm really excited to be a part of it and interact with the fans and go out there and not have to worry about impressing the judges. It's going to be good clean fun, and we're going to have a blast.

Q: After all their critiques and advice, what do you think the judges wanted from you?

A: A little charisma. I got my confidence up and I was having a good time. I just needed to believe a little bit more. I was still learning to add all the extra things to my performances.

Q: The judges seemed to be pushing you toward country music. What are your feelings about country?

A: Country music is what I've grown up listening to and what I feel I fit most comfortably with. The people who inspire me the most are Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban. They have such great, honest music, and I have such a great time performing country music. I see myself hopefully going down that road.

Q: What did Simon say to you after you were eliminated?

A: He asked me what I felt my best week was. I said it was country week, and he said that's when I really shined. He said I just need to figure out what kind of artist I am and what road I want to go down. Country is what I feel most content with.

Q: What kind of feedback did Harry Connick Jr. give you?

A: He said I had a great voice and it was almost angelic. But singing a song beautifully is not the same. He said, "You've got all those high notes, but just go out and sing the song without all the high notes." And that if someone can go out there and do that, that's a true artist.

Q: You mentioned Rascal Flatts and some of your idols. Are they the kind of people you'd like to work with? And will you go back to school, or will you try to make an album right away?

A: I'd love to. They're a huge inspiration for me. I'm on the verge of finishing up with high school. I've got all my senior credits. And then I'd love to record an album. And I'd like to do some original things, like stuff that I've written. We're not allowed to do that on the show, so I don't know if people know that I write songs, but it's another huge passion of mine.

Q: You were born in Florida. Is that where you got your start singing?

A: I was born in Sarasota, and I didn't really start with music until I was 9, but it wasn't anything too serious. The more I did it, the more comfortable I got with it and started to get a little more comfortable. So I started to pick it up as a career. I did the American Idol Experience at Disney World. After I got that ticket to go to the front of the line (for Idol auditions), I auditioned in Orlando.

Q: Will a lot of your relatives be coming to see you on tour?

A: Yes. It's going to be so great seeing them on tour and getting back to some of my old stomping grounds.

Q: You and Michael Lynche had a moment after you were eliminated. What did he say to you?

A: Mike was saying, "You made it this far, and it's all right. Good things are going to come out of this for everybody, so no worries, man, it's a good place to go." And he knows we're all going to do good things.

Q: Were you good friends with him?

A: I'm good friends with everyone on the show. We're all stuck in the Idol bubble. Contestants and the people behind the show are all we've got, pretty much, so we stick together and we're all really close.

Q: How did you balance your schoolwork with the show?

A: I look it as, the contestants have to worry about their performance and the results, but I have to worry about astronomy. So I have school to take my mind off of it. I used it as an advantage.

Q: Some have said Idoldidn't have the strongest contestants this year. What's your response to that?

A: They say that every year. These are all talented people, and we work very hard up there. It's very difficult singing a song or genre you're not comfortable with. It's a very difficult task, but we're all doing it pretty well.

Q: With Mother's Day coming up, how has your mom influenced your singing and life?

A: My mom being with me on the show, she's great support, and she gave up so much to make sure all her kids got what they wanted out of life. We never had to worry about anything, and she's always encouraged us to follow our dreams. My dad as well. They both put out a lot for me to be able to do this. I'm very thankful for both of them, and I love my mom very, very much for the things she's given up for me.

Q: Who do you think will win?

A: They're all talented and they all have a shot at winning this because, when it comes down to it, it's America that votes. Any one of them has a shot, and they're all fantastic.

Q: Who was your favorite mentor?

A: Harry Connick Jr. He worked with us on such a personal level. He did all the arrangements. He worked really hard making sure we all shined. Just to have a mentor who cares so much and is such an iconic figure, he's incredible. It was such an honor getting to share the stage with him.

Q: You and your older brother were adopted by your aunt and uncle, and you refer to them as your mother and father. How has being adopted influenced you?

A: I've had a great life. I'm glad it's my aunt and uncle who adopted me, because if it hadn't been them, I wouldn't get to see my real mom and dad and that side of my family. That's the reason they adopted us. They didn't want us taken away to some foster parents who wouldn't let us see our real family.

Q: Did you have a chance to talk to Rascal Flatts when they were on the show?

A: I got to meet them and take a picture with them. They're really down-to-earth guys. That was one of the highlights for me, getting to meet someone who inspired me so much. They thanked me for doing their music on the show, and it's an honor. I look up to them so much.

Q: What was your mother's reaction when you decided to dedicate your song during Shania Twain Week to her?

A: She did cry, actually. She's just very proud of me. She wasn't in the audience that night. I don't think she knew I was going to dedicate the song to her, but was very proud of her young man.

Q: Do you think Harry Connick Jr. would be a good replacement for Simon?

A: He would be a great replacement for Simon. He's very honest.

Q: What are you looking forward to most about going back home before the tour?

A: Getting to see some family and friends. We've been out here for about two months. You kind of lose track of the time, but it's going to be nice to reconnect with them.

Q: Michael was saying he was going to hold theIdolprom for you and Katie Stevens (the other teenager in the finals). Is that going to happen?

A: Knowing Big Mike, it'll probably happen.

Q: Have you asked Selena Gomez to be your date yet?

A: I haven't. She's probably really busy.

Q: What are things like between the contestants backstage?

A: After we get off the stage, the contestants are all waiting to give each other support. They watch the performance back on the television as it's going on. If the judges cut you down that night, they're there to build you back up. We love each other very much and we want to see each other succeed.

Q: Some of the guys have called you the "little brother" of the season. What do you think of that?

A: They definitely called me the little brother of the season. They're great guys. And MamaSox (Crystal Bowersox). I loved them all.

Q: What did your friends say when you said that you had a little crush on Miley Cyrus?

A: They thought it was funny.

Q: What do you think about the contestants nicknaming you Yoda?

A: It's cool. That's how some of the fans have come to know me. It's cool to have a name like that. Star Wars was huge, and I know Casey's a huge fan of Star Wars, too.

Q: Would you urge others to go through the American Idol Experience at Disney World?

A: Doing the American Idol Experience, it's a great way to get a feel for what this competition is really like. You go through a set of auditions, and the audience actually votes you through. They had two different shows, and the first is where the audience puts you through. At the end of the day, they pick one person from each show that day to go through to the finale. The gold ticket from that puts you to the front of the line for any audition. That was good for me, because I ended up being one of the first to audition in Orlando that morning. It's a fantastic thing and it's a good way to get a feel for the competition.

Q: Do you see yourself working with Disney in the future?

A: I see myself as more interacting with Disney. I know that Rascal Flatts have done some recordings for Disney, like Life Is a Highway. So being able to work with Disney, but also being able to be a country artist. I see myself along the lines of a more Rascal Flatts- or Keith Urban-style person.

Q: Was it difficult doing your final performance last night?

A: I didn't get to watch it back after I sang. But I did feel like I did let everything go. The difference between Tuesday night's performance and Wednesday night's was that I was overthinking it on Tuesday. When I went out there, I wanted it to be perfect. And in a sense, it pulls you back a little bit because you're trying to clean everything up. Whereas Wednesday night, I just let it go and had a great time with it.

Q: Any closing remarks?

A: I'd like to send a shout-out to all the fans who have supported me and gotten me this far. I've enjoyed this journey so much. The things I've learned and the friends I've made have thrilled (me). I love you all very much, and I can't wait to see you out on tour.

MR.BEER® Home Brewing Kits. American's #1 Home Brewing System. Makes a great gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © American
Vida de bombeiro Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Autos Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario arrozinhoii sonasol halfbakedtaters make-it-plain amatha lisboaohyeah lasofia thebushrajr wingshock tripedes dainfamia dejavu-transpersonal jsbenfica republicadasbadanas ruiherbon eaystcheyl ojosmasabiertos ceilasantos sciencesociology centralflowers politicsnetnews news-science-news newsgadgetsworld newshealthfitnessworld newsrealestateworld femalecelebrityworld idolamericanworld curiosityintheworld ohumorpresenteemnossavida centraldasgifs newsmedicalworld worldnaturalhealth worlddesignernews tudosobremadeira 1001cosasdivertidas losppsdetodos artsworldnet centraldosmelhoreslivros politicscurrenteventsworld newsonlinemusic womentopworld newslawonline tech-news-nology wirelessworldnet modelsfashionshow computercenternet downsdasmusicas saude-ciencia downloadsnetbomba arrozinhoii newstelevisionnet educationshow homegarden-news housedesignnewsworld expertemdownloads toprecipesnews artshownews businessshownet academicstopnet photographshow travelnetworld cosmeticskay genexusnet blogabsolutamentenormal o-bem-amado